:: Health Benefits of Celery ::
Health benefits of celery are - they are rich in vitamin C, they lower cholesterol, prevent cancer, reduce high blood pressure, and promote health.
Celery contains amino acids, boron, calcium, chlorine, essential fatty acids, folate, inositol, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorous, potassium, selenium, sulfur , zinc, vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B3, vitamin B5, vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin E and vitamin K. Celery is also a salad ingredient, which contains fiber.
Celery is a crunchy vegetable that belongs to the umbelliferae family.
The health benefits of celery include the following
- Reduced blood pressure: Celery contains a chemical that can lower levels of stress hormones in your blood. This allows blood vessels to expand, giving your blood more room, thereby reducing pressure.
- Reduced cholesterol: Eating celery daily may reduce artery-clogging cholesterol
- Good antiseptic: Celery seeds help in uric acid elimination. So, celery is good for people with bladder disorders, kidney problems, cystitis etc. Celery seeds also assist in avoiding urinary tract infection in women.
- Healthy joints: Celery is good for people suffering from arthritis, rheumatism and gout. Its anti-inflammatory properties help reduce swelling and pain around the joints. Celery sticks contain a diuretic substance, which help to remove uric acid crystals that build around joints.
- Prevents cancer: Celery contains phthalides and polyacetylenes. These anti cancer components detoxify carcinogens. Celery also contains coumarins that enhance the activity of certain white blood cells.
- Improved immune system: Celery is rich in vitamin C; therefore it booststhe immune system.
- Relief from cold: Because of the presence of vitamin C, taking celery gives you relief from cold.
- Reduces severity of asthma: Vitamin C prevents free radical damage and thus reduces the severity of inflammatory conditions like asthma.
- Cardiovascular health: Presence of vitamin C in the roots of celery promotes cardiovascular health. Roots
- Diuretic activity: Celery is rich in both sodium and potassium. These minerals help in regulating fluid balance.
- Relief from migraine: Presence of coumarins gives relief from migraines.
- Treats rheumatism: Celery extracts, which contain85% 3nB, are effective for treating arthritis and muscular pains.
- Good for diabetic patients: Celery leaves are also eaten for treating diabetic conditions.
- Relief from ophthalmologic disease: Dripping celery tea drops on eyelids is good for ophthalmologic affectations.
Because of the high calcium content, celery calms the nerves. So, eating celery helps people to be calm. Celery acts as an antioxidant too. All parts of celery including seed, root and leaves, can be used. Drinking celery juice before meal will help you to reduce your weight. Celery has many other nutritional benefits: Eating celery regularly helps to avoid diseases of kidney, pancreas, liver and gallbladder; neuritis, constipation, asthma, high blood pressure, catarrh, pyorrhea and dropsy, brain over work, acidosis, anemia, obesity and tuberculosis. It also helps in the improvement of teeth.
Precautions: Celery seeds contain volatile oils, flavonoids, coumarins and linoleic acid and are therefore not good for pregnant women because they may cause contractions in the uterus.